Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Departure: The Waiting Game

The first day has begun and will not finish until tomorrow night at 5 pm Israel time or 10 am eastern time. It has been a day of waiting. Waiting to get picked up by my grandpa and then waiting in the airport in Pittsburgh, soon it will be waiting two hours of waiting in Atlanta, before the big wait on the airplane to Israel. While I have been waiting, it is definitely not boring. I love traveling and being in airports. You see all different kinds of people coming and going all over the world. There are groups of people, teams, families, and people traveling alone. Seeing all of these people makes me realize how big the world is, and each of the people I see has a story of their own. Sometimes when I look at large groups of people, realizing everyone has their own story, I imagine a little blurb above their head giving a short bio of their name where they are going and where they are from. Each little blurb could be like people's Facebook status or their latest Tweet.

So far I have enjoyed meeting Annette and getting to know Peg better. They have been friends for over twenty five years and to say that they enjoy their company is an understatement. They have an entire lifetime of mine of stories together. I love sitting and listening to their travels. With all of the waiting time that we will have it is time we spend getting to know each other. I am excited to meet up with the group in Atlanta and become one group together. I'm sure we will be busy in Israel, but we will no longer have the distractions of home. Instead of watching tv at night I look forward to playing cards or just sitting up talking over coffee. When I go on vacations I always romanticize about living without tv or cell phones, however when I get back to the "real world" I am right back at watching ESPN every morning and filling any empty night with tv. This time when I get home I am going to try and embrace the stories of those around me instead of filling myself with the stories on tv. Peg, Annette and I just had dinner and talked and talked and talked. I hope the others are the trip are just as interesting and relaxed and fun loving as these two.

My trip has begun and our group continues to grow. Three down eight more to meet. Hopefully the group will continue to grow as we go to Israel, meeting new and interesting people, looking for their stories.

No comments:

Post a Comment