Thursday, June 24, 2010

Birthday Wishes

Today was my grandma Bubba's 76th birthday. We celebrated with dinner at Cozumel and then dessert at her house. My aunt, uncle, and cousins flew in from San Diego and joined my grandparents and me. As we sat around the table, both at dinner and for dessert we were able to catch up and reminisce about our past. Over cake, I asked my grandma to tell me what her favorite year was out of her last 76. She proceeded to tell us a story about a 16th birthday where he was quite bored sky gazing looking at the clouds as they changed shape, she decided to go upstairs take a bath and wash her hair. As she was relaxing in the tub she was surprised by her friends (no boys, she was quick to clarify) standing in the door ready for a dinner party that her mother put together. The rest of the night was loud, full of laughter, and more stories. I hope I will celebrate birthdays now that I will remember years from now.

So that brings me to this next question. Do you remember any presents that you got for your birthday? If so, what kinds of presents were they? The moments that I remember most are times like my Olympic birthday, or my bowling birthday party, or the dinners we would have for my birthday. I vaguely remember presents, but I do remember making a big deal about the presents at the time, putting so much emphasis on the things that I thought would just change my life forever. For instance, I remember wanting a bonsai tree in the worst way, I am not sure how, but I knew that having that bonsai tree would give me special athletic abilities and allow me to beat up any bully that came my way just like the karate kid. One year I did get my wish and got a baby bonsai tree that I had to grow myself. Day after day, week after week I watered my little pot of dirt with a bonsai seed and instead of ninja skills I ended up with a wet pot of dirt. I was very appreciative of the gift. My mom knew that I wanted a bonsai tree and she satisfied my wants. However, the emphasis that I put on the tree did not meet up with my expectations. No ninja, no wax on wax off, no fly catching, but I did gain the great insight to not put so much emphasis on presents.

For presents my grandma got a bib, hand lotion, perfume, a picture, and a book. Other birthdays that i have recently witnessed or attended which did not focus on presents include my friend Jason's 40th birthday. His wife asked his closest 40 friends to give $40 to a charity. So on his birthday, Jason was able to read cards from his friends to see where money was donated on behalf of him. When my sister Laura was younger, very young, she gave away all of her presents. She continues to have the same loving caring heart.

Take a hint from me, whatever your "bonsai tree" is, it won't change your life, it will probably end up letting you down. Think creatively for your next birthday or when you are celebrating with others. Focus on relationships, stories, good food, and memorable moments. The glamour will fade and toys will break, but stories will be passed on forever.

As for me, it's a long ways away, but if you are wondering what to get me for my birthday, start thinking of what you want to eat and you are invited to my house for a meal and we can talk about a charity you donated money to on my behalf. Don't worry, I will remind you when it comes closer. I hope for years to come of birthdays full of dinners with family reminiscing of the past, even if (especially if) the stories are a bit fabricated.

No comments:

Post a Comment