Friday, June 25, 2010

Born to Run

I've been reading a book lately titled "Born to Run". The book is written by a Runners World writer and tells the story of a group of runners deep in a the Copper Canyon in Mexico and other ultra marathoners. Each runner the author highlights has an incredible story of how each found their own niche in running. It is not uncommon for the runners talked about to just happen upon running. The author follows a group of runners through ultra marathons, over mountains through canyons and rivers in the middle of the night and through the desert. These runners do not get much money if any for winning their races and are fairly unknown athletes, but they put themselves through hundreds of miles of running at a time. The common thread that holds all of the runners together then, if not the quest for fame or money, is their joy of running. Some of the runners are even said to have smiles on their faces at mile 60 or 70.

While I do love to run, I cannot imagine running hundreds of miles at a time, nor do I think I would want to, especially with a smile on my face. However, I have been running consistently for a few years now and have enjoyed every moment of it. It seems like running has been more of a part of my life than I realized previously. My brother, sister, and mother have all ran before me and continue to do so. When I get a chance I enjoy running with them as well, its a great way to catch up. Each of our running is individual to our point in life and our likes, but it is still something we are all able to share together.

My running is not competitive and I can keep my own pace. If I am feeling fast I open my stride and push myself, when I am feeling slower I ease into the run and usually end up surprising myself at how much I end up running. Running gives me a time to unwind, relax, think, not think at all, or just take in the view around me. Since I have been running I have been able to explore cities I have visited more easily than driving through them. Most recently while in Boston, I was able to wake up early in the morning and tour the city. I ran along the Charles River for some time watching other runners and crew teams rowing down the river. I then crossed over into the city and ran around Fenway Park before I headed back to Boston University. I have had similar experiences in other cities as well, and hope to continue to get to know my way around new places by running.

Whether I'm running to get to know a place, running fast, slow, far or short, by myself or with another person, I always feel better after I'm done than when I started. I also feel more at peace the more that I run, I'm not sure if it's the endorphins or the time I spend in splendor of God's nature, including cows, wooded hills and rising moons. The world is full of so much to see, I urge you to get out there and take it all in one walk, jog, or run at a time, I promise you won't be disappointed.

No comments:

Post a Comment