Thursday, May 20, 2010

Surprise Conversations

I had a nice conversation today with a friend. Like most good conversations it took me by surprise. I was expecting to sit, drink some cold coffee, and write some letters. However, I was presented with a conversation about beliefs, hell, who is saved, and relating issues.

These are topics which I do think about but rarely discuss with others. What I realized during this conversation is that I know what I know and I know what I believe, but I have very few experiences of vocalizing these ideas. So this discussion was good practice for me. I learned a few things.

First of all, I realized there are times in conversations when I need to speak and times when I need to listen. It is easy to sit back and be apathetic or to be aggressive in the conversation easily making it one sided. Especially in conversations about faith, something so many of us hold dear, it is easy to either not listen to the other person or to dominate discussion if we disagree with whom we are talking to. We need to realize though, we will never learn anything if we do not listen to those with different opinions and beliefs, It does us good sometimes to hear reassuring comments from those who agree with us, but when talking to those with whom we disagree we not only learn another perspective, but are better able state our own beliefs.

Secondly today, I learned that we must address all topics even the ones we do not feel comfortable talking about. I admit that I do not spend too much time discussing who goes to hell and who is saved. I do not know the formula or how it all works out. Jesus does talk about those who are cut off from him, but Jesus also speaks of love. I may be naive in focusing on love, but all I can think of doing is to love others so that they may know Christ. If I obediently obey the Holy Spirit working in me, I believe that the Holy Spirit will also be working in others both outwardly and inwardly. God has set us in a story as the great creator, and I believe that he wills and hopes for all of his creation to be with him. I am not sure what this looks like, but I hope to be a part of it.

What excites me about my conversation today is that I never know where God will be using me or how I will be used to further the kingdom of God. However, I do know that the only way I will be able to accomplish any of this is by obediently listening for God moving in my life, and by having difficult discussions which make me think about my faith, my role in life, and how God is using me. In the end though, through all of this talking and thinking, I believe I need to be silent and attentive to where and to whom God is calling me, engaging all in love.

No comments:

Post a Comment