Friday, May 14, 2010

The Final Final

For the last four years I have walked the halls of Patterson and the streets of New Wilmington. It is hard to believe that I will be leaving here for Greensburg and then Pittsburgh in just one week. The fact that I am graduating and leaving New Wilmington has not hit me yet. I am not sure if I will ever become sad when I leave New Wilmington, not because I am itching with anticipation to get out of here, but because I have found a new home in New Wilmington and plan on making frequent trips back here. Meeting members of the community and being active in the church have been my "field education" in some sense. I love thinking of the people I have met here and the people who I hope to keep in touch with. I think of Mrs. Moss and at first being intimidated by her, and the relationship we have come to build from many late nights on mission trips. I appreciate all of the loving neighbors in town who have given me countless meals and opened their doors to me. The Hunters will always be a place that I feel welcomed (especially now with the new addition). I have come to feel like a family member there and appreciate all of the family functions that I have been invited to. They have taught me what it means to live out your faith. I am also thankful for Lisa and Jason, they have provided me with snippets of wisdom, encouragement to spread my wings, and food enough for many meals. Although I was Lisa's student and she was also my boss, she always treated me as an equal and a friend. For that I am thankful. As I think about going to Pittsburgh Theological next year, I am excited for the friends I have made in Lisa, Jason, Ralph, and Chris, and hope to continue the community of those in ministry.

Westminster and New Wilmington are not places that I just came to attend college, but where I came to live and invest myself for four years. I hope that I have left a part of myself in town that others will appreciate, and I hope to continue this communal living wherever I go. This town has taught me about community, what it means to be a neighbor, and the benefits of an intimate small town. New Wilmington will always have a place in my heart. I was introduced to how fast "news spreads" in a small town, but also how willing everyone is to lend a helping hand. I am so thankful that I did not stay in the bubble of Westminster, but branched out into the community and was able to meet the people that make up the town. This leads me to one of my favorite compliments anyone has given me (other than being told that I look like Ryan Gosling). For the past few weeks as people began saying their goodbyes and started asking about what my plans were for next year, multiple people have asked me, "Are you staying around here, you are from town right?"

Isn't that what we should be striving for? Living in community with those around you so much that they even think you are one of them? So this has given me motivation for my ministry in life, it has given me hope and encouragement that I will be able to live among others and have God work through me. We will see where this takes me.

No comments:

Post a Comment