Wednesday, May 19, 2010

Created to create

So this morning/afternoon Nathan and I built a trampoline in Lisa Hickman's back yard. We counted all of the nuts, bolts, piping, and springs. We set out the instructions and began our work. The morning started out cloudy like the last four or five days, looking like rain. However, as we began working, the sun came out and the air warmed up. Soon enough Nathan and I had our sweat shirts off and were sweating and grunting. For the past few days Nathan kept reassuring me that building the trampoline would not take too long. Each time he told me that I felt like it was a bad omen and we would be up to our waist in springs tangled in mesh all day long.

As the work continued, we methodically followed the directions one by one and the trampoline began to take shape. There is something to working with your hands that is quite appealing to me. During the building process of anything I look forward to the problem solving, conversation, the tired feeling like I accomplished something, and the tangible product when done. In so much of my course work the past four years I would have reading to do; for hours I would sit and read and at then end of my time studying I would have nothing tangible to account for what I thought was hard work. That is why I find escape in working with my hands. I created something. I took many parts which are useless by themselves and put them together forming a functional jumping device. I think a part of human nature is to create. As God created the earth and all that is in it including us, so too we find ourselves called to create, as we were created in God's image.

After our work putting together the trampoline, we went to the bio field to enjoy not our creation, but some of God's creation. The sun was shining, and the cool waters and lush green underbrush were calling the inner boy in my and Nathan to come and explore. At the bridge we met two furry friends, Juno and Tessa. Immediately we jumped in the water and began to play. The water was cold but refreshing. As Tom Sawyer and Huckleberry Finn, Nathan and I explored the creek bed, picking flowers, throwing rocks, and poking sticks and potential treasure. I felt free in the bio field, with the sun shining on my face, the water rushing by my legs, surrounded by beautiful flowers and the sound of birds. Again it makes me think about God's role of creating. It took me three hours to put together a trampoline, instructions included. Did God use any instruction book? How long did it take God to create the creek I was walking through? How many people have enjoyed/used God's creation and not even thought of the one who has created it.

As I worked with my hands today it made me think about creation and creators. Most of the time we use something without thinking about who created it, how long it took them, where they were when they created it. But as you observe God's creation it makes me thankful for not only God as creator, but for those around the world who create. Take time to notice where your clothes and food come from, be appreciative for the author of your favorite book, stay until the end of a movie and notice how many people went into the process of creating the film you just watched. Just as you become more aware of the creators around you, find your inner creator and create something of your own to offer to the world whether it be cookies, poetry, a bench, flower bed, or even a trampoline.

No comments:

Post a Comment